Where I Like To Eat

Places I've eaten at and things I like to eat! I don't go out to eat all the time, but I do so regularly enough. I'd like to share the places and foods that I enjoy: for price, food, service and/ or presentation.

Friday 12 July 2013

Fitzrovia- Lantana

I like coffee as much as I like tea, and that's quite a lot. I'm certainly no coffee connoisseur, but I can tell the difference between a good cup and a bad cup, and I do enjoy a strong-but-unburned coffee. My favourite has recently been the flat white from Monmouth coffee. After today's jaunt to try something different, I think Lantana's flat white has instantly become a contender for First Place.





















Where?

Fitzrovia, London, 13 Charlotte Place (Just off of Goodge Street). Nearest underground station Goodge Street.

What?

An antipodean café-slash-breakfast, brunch and lunch restaurant. There are two ways of going about it: Lantana Out on the left-hand side for takeaway drinks, breakfasty things and cakes, and Lantana In on the right-hand side for sitting-down-and-eating. One day I will try something on Lantana In's delicious-looking menu, but this morning I opted for a Lantana Out and a quiet perch on the bench outside.

So, I know I quite like flat whites because of their strength without the knockout strength of having it black (the way I understand it, a flat white is alike a short, strong latte- I told you I'm not a connoisseur). Lantana's flat white has been long lauded on the interweb, so I knew I had to order it.

Cute foam art!
Well- it was perfect. It was smooth, rich, strong and not at all bitter or burned. Lantana apparently uses Square Mile beans while Monmouth Coffee uses Monmouth beans. Square Mile coffee, Monmouth coffee- I think they're two independent roasters. No idea about coffee bean origin- again, not an expert. I found Lantana's Square Mile a bit tangier than Monmouth's signature roast, but it was a very pleasant tang. I'm not sure I could choose one over the other.

As for breakfast! I *had* to try a friand.


When I visited family in Australia last year, I saw these things in practically every café: and yet I never tried one while I was there. Unforgivable for a dessert nut like me! Thank goodness for Lantana.

A friand is a small cake made with ground almonds, often flavoured with lemon and sometimes with fruit like blueberries. They had several kinds at Lantana, but I chose plain lemon. It was dense, moist, almondy, lemony and mouthwatering.


I also had a small takeaway muesli pot (which I didn't photo because I made a mess when I opened it): at the front counter they had a table with large bowls of homemade bircher muesli, homemade toasted muesli with dates, thick natural yoghurt, poached peaches and pears and berry compote. When the girl at the counter asked me what I wanted in my pot, I tentatively asked if I could have a bit of everything- which thankfully she was happy to do. She also filled the pot very generously, which I was grateful for (even though I made a mess in my eagerness to get into it!) They even made something as seemingly simple as muesli delicious.

I was lucky enough to have today off work, and I visited Lantana at about 10:30am- so it was relatively quiet (although still quite busy in Lantana In- it's a very popular place indeed). Chilling out outside with an amazing coffee, a healthy and wholesome breakfast and a little cakey treat in peace and quiet was nirvana. I know where I'm going again on my next morning off.

For some reason when you Google Lantana's location it often comes up as being on Charlotte Street: but it's in fact on Charlotte's Place, which is a little side street right off of Goodge Street. Just head for Yaki (which I went to later on in the day and reviewed just before this post) from Goodge Street station and turn left into Charlotte Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment